Sunday, July 30, 2023

The Dark- Skinned Lady with a Sunshine Smile

 In the fall of 1998, I became really popular at the college parties. 

Whenever the party started no one would start to dance. I think that it was largely due to the fact that no one wanted to be the first to be seen on the dance floor. 

After being a Marine for 2 years at this point, I felt invincible!

Whenever I wanted to get the party started, I would look for the dark-skinned lady with the sunshine smile. 

Her name was Teneicia. She was much taller than I was, but that never stopped me from asking her to dance. She was just as adventurous as I was at the time and that was all that mattered. 

Most women would not dance with you unless other people were already dancing.

Whenever I grabbed Teneicia, it was like the world stood still.

 A million eyes could have been watching us.

However, it did not matter, because we were in the zone! 

Once we started dancing, the whole room would eventually follow our lead.

She was my dance partner for years until she eventually moved away in the early 2000s.

I did not see her again until around 2016.

Today, she is a successful business owner, a mother of 4, and I am a community servant. 

Sometimes when our paths cross we will smile at one another and share memories about the good old days. We never danced again, but our friendship became stronger than ever over time.

Out of all of the women that I have ever danced with she will always be my favorite dance partner!



No comments:

Post a Comment