Monday, April 2, 2018

Knowing is Half The Battle

When I was young I saw so many things that happened around my house that I just did not understand until I had the nerve to speak up and ask about them.
When I was around the age of 13, I noticed that my step-father J.C. used to receive 2 subscriptions from Publisher's Clearing House. He just knew that one day, that these people were going to show up at his doorstep with that big old check in their hand.
He used to read Popular Mechanics and Cosmopolitan. I could understand why he would like to read Popular Mechanics because he was a huge fan of the latest in technology.
However, his interest in the Cosmopolitan magazine struck me as being a bit odd because I knew that it was a magazine that was geared towards the interest of women.
One day, I asked him about it. I said, "Dad, why do you read a magazine for women?"
He looked at me with a devilish grin and he replied, " Son, sometimes it is just good to know what the other side is thinking from time to time."
At the time, I was too immature to understand what he had said to me. Years later, it quickly came back to me and I laughed really hard about it.
Sadly, in April of 2010, we lost him to a battle with lung cancer. Up until the time that he died he still read the Cosmopolitan Magazine.
From time to time, I find myself reading that magazine as well just to keep that family tradition going.

No comments:

Post a Comment