Friday, December 29, 2023

Helping a Neighbor

 A few years back a homeless person walked up to me and asked me for help as I was taking an afternoon stroll in the city of Little Rock.

The first question that I asked him was how he came to be in his state and why he hadn't reached out to his family for help? He told me that he had gotten a job here coming from Tennessee and within a few months after he was here, he was laid off and couldn't recover. He told me that he had lost his house, phone, and everything.
I allowed him to use my cell phone to contact a relative. They told him to go to Western Union to pick up some money for food and for a bus ticket home.
So you know me, I had to see this thing through.
So I helped him with the rest of his task. Before he got on his bus to go home, he asked me for my mailing address. I didn't think anything of it at the time so I gave it to him and I watched as he boarded the bus and left safely.
About 8 months after that encounter with him, I received a letter in the mail with a $100 bill attached to it to thank me for helping him get back to his family.
The moral of this story is this: You should always be nice to someone regardless of their appearance. You just never know. You might be entertaining an angel!

No comments:

Post a Comment