Tuesday, June 18, 2019

The Greatest Gift From My Father

Up until the time that I was 4 years old, I lived in Chidester, Arkansas with my parents Johnney Joe and Sheila Gulley in my dad's parents manor. 
It was around that time I told my dad that I wanted to be like Boss Hogg, a character from the hit TV Show "The Dukes of Hazzard."
Weeks later, he bought me a big white cowboy hat, a belt buckle, and some cowboy boots. 
As a child, I would pick out the clothes that I wanted to wear and I would wear those items EVERYDAY!
In 1981, I took a picture in my outfit at the county Faulkner County Fair. 
Years later, I would look at that photo and become furious. I asked my dad why he allowed me to go out in public looking the way that I did.
He replied, " You were my only son and I wanted to make sure that you believed that you could be whatever you wanted to be in life."
I must admit that my father and I have not always seen eye to eye on certain issues. 
However, he has always been there for me when the moments counted the most. I will always be thankful to him for inspiring me to believe in myself. 

No comments:

Post a Comment