Saturday, September 8, 2018

My Paternal Grandfather

Up until I was 4 years old, I lived with parents in my dad's parent's home. 
My best friend and hero at the time was paternal grandfather Zebedee Gulley.
He always left home before the sun came up. He would return home just as the sun would begin to set for the evening.
He worked for International Paper's Paper Mill in Wheelen Springs, Arkansas. 
When he was away, I would serve as his eyes and ears when it came to finding out what had been going on at the house. 
I once told him about the time that my grandmother had put a dent in her 1978 Buick Regal by accident. 
As a reward for keeping him updated, he brought home a cap for me with his work emblem on it.
I kept that hat for years! 
Sadly, in 2003, I lost him to a battle with diabetes when I was in my 2nd year of college. 
He also died without me speaking to him because of a disagreement that I had with him for not giving me something that my grandmother had left to me in death. 
I wish that I had not been so petty to let something like that ruin our relationship, but what it is done is done. 
My prayer is that those of you that may be reading this will get the relationships that you have your relatives back on track before it is too late. 
Time is something that you can never get back. 
Remember that. 

No comments:

Post a Comment